3-1. Soft Actuator
- Laughing loud. I like fun things. I like new things.
- There is no success without failure
- Favorite words：
- ・Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.
・Done is better than perfect.
- DIY, reading and research.
- Role Model：
- Albert Einstein
- Since I was a student, I have conducted research on soft and wet materials, where I especially like gels. I have had the opportunity to belong to the front line research groups of fields such as solid physics, macromolecular · soft matter physics, high molecular physics chemistry, life science etc., and have explored the gel diversely. I joined Yamagata University in 2009 and launched the Soft & Wet Matter Engineering Laboratory (abbreviation: SWEL) to become independent and to integrate the science of gel and mechanical engineering in the new field "Gel Mechanics, Gel Photonics, Gel Robotics". With the beginning of the 3D printing boom in autumn 2012 we have attracted international attention with the development of a 3D-Gel printer at Yamagata University. To promote research on 3D printers, I founded the Life - 3D printing Innovation Center (abbreviation: LPIC) of Yamagata University in June 2013 and became the director of the LPIC Center. In November 2016 I was involved in the establishment of a university-originated venture "Delight Matter Co., Ltd." aiming to commercialize 3D gel printers, and I am appointed as a special technical advisor to the company. Doctor of Science (Tokyo Institute of Technology, 1996).
- Specialized field：
- 3D printer, gel mechanics, gel photonics, gel robotics
- Development of soft mechanics, especially innovative artificial muscles and soft actuators and their application to soft matter robotics